Shine Like Stars
Hark, the voice of Jesus calling,
“Who will go and work today?
Fields are ripe and harvests waiting,
Who will bear the sheaves away?”
Long and loud the Master calls us,
Rich reward He offers free;
Who will answer, gladly saying,
“Here am I, send me, send me”?
If you cannot speak like angels,
If you cannot preach like Paul,
You can tell the love of Jesus,
You can say He died for all.
If you cannot rouse the wicked,
With the judgment’s dread alarms,
You can lead the little children
To the Savior’s waiting arms.
Hark the Voice of Jesus Calling, verses 1 & 3
Today as I stood in our church sanctuary singing these songs, I was reminded of why I made the decision to put my children in a Lutheran school. I've had people question, "Why drive so far for school? You'll be in the car for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon." "Why would you pay for private school when we already pay taxes for public school?" "Why not just put them in a private school in the Woodlands?" And also had them say to me, "it's just like a public school with Christians." These are all valid questions and statements which have caused me to doubt my decision a lot in recent months.
Today, I attended the opening worship service for the Houston Area Lutheran Educators. Standing in a church service full of about 200 Lutheran school teachers reminded me that this is not just a teaching job to them, but a ministry where they have the opportunity to transform lives for Jesus. These people make so much less than your average public school teacher. They could go make more money, but what is important to them is not the money, it's that they are able to share their faith and teach in a loving, Christian atmosphere. Today, I saw my 2nd grade teacher, my 5th grade teacher, my 7th grade teacher, and my junior high band director and choir director. I also saw several other teachers that I didn't necessarily have during school, but that had an impact on my life indirectly...either they coached my sisters or worked with my mom. There were also a few that I have worked with in the past.
The sermon today was based on Daniel 12:3, "Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever." We are to "Shine like Stars" for these little children. What a blessing all of these people are! I am so blessed to be a part of it. And so thankful that my children are able to attend a school where the love of Jesus is shown to them on a daily basis. I know not everyone has this privilege and I know that our circumstances may change in the future and we may not be able to continue down this road. But I am so thankful right now for the gift I have been given in being able to choose this education for my children.

2 comments:
Amen, sister Amen. We are interested in finding out more for Taylor if you have any info it would be appreciated. We arent exactly excited about her going to public school either when there is better out there, especially in a Christian environment.
Oh, I hear you - it makes me teary to think that we're taking Catherine away from an environment like that. I used to try and go to chapel with her once a week, and just left there with such a sense of peace that she was hearing God's word daily and being educated in such a loving environment . . . ugh. Keep it up as long as you can.
Post a Comment