Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wheat-free Wonderbread

Okay, so it's not Wonderbread, but it's wonderful! Do they even still make wonderbread? I never really liked white bread and I think that's what wonderbread is. Anyway, I had to make another batch of bread for Kyle last night. He's gone from eating at least two slices of bread a day to about two (or less) slices a week now. And most of the bread mixes I have found require you to freeze the bread because it will crumble if you don't. So, that leaves these little spongey slices that you have to toast in order to get them to stay intact before you take a bite. I say spongey because if you put anything on them (such as butter or jelly) it soaks it up within about 2 minutes leaving nothing but a hint of color on the slice. Can you see why he has gone to eating on average 2 slices a week?

Back to the loaf I made last night. I tried Pamela's Products Wheat-free Bread Mix. On the package it boasts that you can make bagels, pizza and pie crusts all with this mix. I followed the directions and while the bread came out a bit more moist than I expected, it is the best loaf of gluten-free bread I have made yet. I haven't had to freeze it which amazes me. It's still soft and tastes good. You can't even tell it's wheat-free. It's a bit more dense than regular sandwich bread, but Kyle is eating it up - he had a slice of toast with his breakfast and now he's enjoying a "special" grilled cheese sandwich.

Unfortunately I did not have as much luck using Pamela's Products Classic Vanilla Cake Mix. This is the mix I used for the crust of the pumpkin cake and it came out very gritty. But I will keep searching! I have a month (yikes!, he'll be 3 in a month!) to find a cake mix to make his birthday cake. It's all trial and error with this new diet...

0 comments: